Student academic advising unit has been constituted in the Computer Networks and Communications Engineering department for facilitating academic counseling and personal advice to guide the students on the right career path. The student counseling and personal meeting with the faculty members help to identify the student’s difficulties in academic activities and support to overcome the same. The departmental student affairs committee deals with the student’s personal, family, psychological issues which are voluntarily presented to the academic counselor.
With the beginning of each semester new students are distributed to the advisers in the department. The electronic system at the college shows each student his adviser and each advisor has a list of students.
Student academic advising unit in CNE department has advising plan to provide the following activities:
- Assisting students with admission and registration/ providing guidance in course selection in keeping with the student's interests, values and abilities.
- Assessing and advising the academic, career and personal development of each student and encouraging the student to achieve academic and career goals.
- Identifying options for the student to satisfy degree requirements.
- Monitoring academic progress of students; analyzing progress reports from instructors; determining eligibility and satisfactory progress toward degree.
- Maintaining and updating student files and records; all documents pertinent student information.
- Interpreting and explaining college and university policies and procedures; participating in preparation of orientations and presenting academic information to the new students and their parents during the orientation.
- Checking various forms for accuracy such as grade checks, overload petitions, curriculum changes. Gathering and/or calculating necessary information such as GPA's or enrollment statistics; preparing various reports as requested.
- Identifying options for the student to satisfy specific degree requirements.
- Evaluating transfer transcripts from other academic institutions for equivalences and application to a degree program.